6.16.2010

delicious summer dinner

Just made this tonight for dinner - loved it, had to share!

Caribbean Chicken with Four-Fruit Salsa
&
Grilled Basil-Lime Corn on the Cob

For salsa (recipe from Taste of Home: Simple & Delicious)
1 medium peach, chopped
1/2 c. each: blackberries, blueberries, raspberries
1/4 c. chopped red onion
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 c. chopped sweet red pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro*
2 T. lime juice
1/8 t. salt

I didn't have, but recipe also calls for:
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
1 t. minced fresh gingerroot
1 t. Caribbean jerk seasoning

Combine all ingredients and chill until serving.
*I might use a little less cilantro; it gets pretty overpowering after a few bites.

For chicken:
The salsa recipe said "serve with grilled meat, fish or poultry" - I wanted to spice up my chicken just a bit, so I improvised! I used honey and a little generic "kickn' chicken" rub. If I had the Caribbean jerk seasoning, I would have seasoned my chicken with that.

For corn:
The recipe was from Taste of Home, but I ended up improvising. Here's my recipe.
6 T. butter, softened
1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 t. sugar
dash salt
dash garlic salt
a few shakes of lime juice
(If I had had a real lime, I would have used that instead, with some zest as well)

Mix all together in a small bowl (I just used a spoon and mashed it all together). Peel back husks gently, use a little of your butter mixture on each ear, and close back up. Soak in cold water for about 10-15 minutes. Drain, and add a little more butter. Grill on medium for about 20 minutes. Use remaining butter before eating if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment