8.22.2008

11 years ago today



Jayne Elizabeth ~
As soon as you were old enough for your personality to begin shining, we knew life with you was going to be FUN. For the past 11 years, you've kept us laughing with your cheerful disposition and your unflagging vitality. You are sweet & precious, and I am so blessed to be your big sister. Happy birthday!
Love always,
Rachel

P.S. I hope you don't mind Jayne, but I'm going to share a few stories about you for those who aren't fortunate to know you or spend enough time with you...

-When Jayne was about 3 or 4, she was climbing on a fence propped against the barn wall. She missed a rung and bumped her way to the ground (only about 3 feet, but still a good tumble for a little kid). She stood up immediately and looked around quickly to see if anyone had observed her moment of clumsiness; when she noticed my mother's look of concern, she threw her arms up in the air and announced proudly, "Ta-DA!"

-About the same age, Jayne must have been learning about sharing in Sunday School. She hated sleeping by herself and would climb into bed with whichever sibling she chose. One night, she was trying to crawl in with Robert, who sleepily grunted for her to go upstairs with Emily. Not without noticeable frustration and a sense of injustice, Jayne scolded, "God says we should sleep with everyone!"

-Jayne is not a picky eater. I don't know if I've ever met someone who enjoys food as much as she does. One morning I was getting ready for school, and Dad had me stand still and just listen to Jayne for a second. She was at the table by herself, eating a bowl of cereal, just humming to herself. In her own little world, as happy & content as can be. Jayne also enjoys experimenting with various combinations of food. She's been known to down large helpings of spaghetti noodles with ranch dressing. My mom recently forwarded me an old email she got from my dad, titled "your daughter," about Jayne's meal choice of the day: "scrambled eggs for lunch. scrambled with vinegar."


We love you, Jayne! You've enriched our lives in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment