drive slow, homie.

So I started my new job on Monday, and I didn't have to go in until 10:00am because I had to meet with HR to wrap up a few loose ends. The drive took just about 20 minutes. Tuesday morning I had to be there at 8:00am... and it took me about 45 minutes. A little ridiculous, if you ask me. SO, Doug & I got creative and figured out a much easier way for me to get to work. I started out this morning with my Google directions, very confident about the decision to avoid the freeways.

Here is the email I sent Doug upon arrival at work:
"The commute would have been considerably more fun, had Hines Dr. not been CLOSED after Middlebelt because of water over the road! Thankfully, I'm not as dumb as I sometimes act, and just hopped on Merriman until it met Warren, and just took Warren the rest of the way. I did have a panicky moment, when I was like, "Does Warren Rd turn into Warren Ave?!" But thankfully, you didn't delete the map on the directions like I always do, so I was comforted when I saw that yes, in fact, Warren Rd DOES turn into Warren Ave. Also, I almost rear ended someone... hard, because I was looking at the map, and didn't realize that someone was sitting at a green light, so I had to SLAM my brakes on. Like, to the point of tires squealing... if our tires were still in good enough shape to squeal, that is. They more... "squawked," I suppose.

Anyway, it is faster than waiting for 10 minutes on the on-ramp to 39. And less stressful... unless your face is almost in someone's trunk."

I did make it to work safely, despite the obstacles I had to overcome... and amazingly, it only took about 25 minutes.

I figured the drive home from work would be much better, because I already knew where the roads were closed, and I also wouldn't be worried about making it to work on time. So, I was feeling pretty confident and excited about a shorter drive home. Well, until about 3:00, when I started hearing some weird noises against the window. Which turned out to be hail. Around 4:00, it was sort of hailing and sort of snowing and sort of sleeting. Basically, it was just miserable outside. At 4:30, an administrator came upstairs and told us all to go home. I'm pretty sure the fastest I went on the way home was 30 mph. Soooo it ended up taking me 45 minutes to get home.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have a normal commute?

No comments:

Post a Comment