9.22.2010

getting my weasel on

Soooo, I had a bad day yesterday!

My dear friend Megan (who turned 25 yesterday!) wrote an insightful post about "Living Like Weasels" - not as alarming as it might sound. With an excerpt from Annie Dillard, Megan urges her readers to take a breather from responsibilities and life's stressors and "suck the marrow from the bones of life."

So I did just that. I took a personal day & just enjoyed life.

I began my "Weasel Day" by sleeping in until 7:30 - almost 1 hour and 45 minutes longer than normal! I got up and made a list of all the fun things my day would entail.
I had a blissfully slow morning - cuddling with Zooey for some devos in I John ("God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything!") and some Faulkner - As I Lay Dying.
Doug: "You read this whole book today?"
Me: "Of course not. I read it in 3 hours this morning."
I played piano.
I wrote to our adorable Compassion boy, Fitsum (who just turned 6 last week!).
I finished making curtains (out of a shower curtain) for our downstairs bathroom.
I walked, I listened to music, I cleaned.
Just for fun - here's a picture of Zooey staring at me after I've said, "Do you want..." and then the second picture is what happens when I say "dinner?" or "popcorn?" or "walk?"
Doug came home early & we went to look at couches, cracking ourselves up with ridiculous jokes the whole time.
We ate Hungry Howie's pizza for dinner.
I baked an apple pie.
We ate apple pie while watching Modern Family.

AND I received so many encouraging emails & text messages from family and friends. Thank you all for your affirmation and love.

Who knew living like a rodent could be so delightful?
I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! This post made me so happy! I felt more rested just reading it. Great job. You didn't even have to practice it, you naturally know how to weasel it up!

    love, love, love!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! your day as a weasel sounds awesome! did you use a pattern for those curtains or you just know how to do 'em? i've been trying to make curtains for weeks & i'm just not confident to begin! help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for living like a weasel. Also, I cannot believe you read Faulkner in 3 hours...that book took me forever because...ummm Faulkner is depressing. I'm glad you were able to refuel.

    Also, can I come hang out at your house? What if I bring a friend...in the form of a 19 month old? He's super fun at parties.

    ReplyDelete