9.29.2008

domestic success!

Tonight was a night of culinary triumph in the Parton household. Tonight was the first time Doug & I have made pork chops, and it was the also, shamefully, the first time I've successfully made rice. 

I don't know what the deal has been with me and rice, but up until tonight, I've always had a little bit of crunch to my rice. And I'm not down with that. My sweet husband will graciously scarf down whatever mess I put in front of him, but I know my shortcomings, and  - up until tonight - rice was one of them. Let's just say I'll be buying jasmine rice from now on!

Okay, so my pork chops - yum. They've been marinating since Saturday. I bought them on a whim - I've never done pork chops, so I was nervous, I'll admit it. I'm a lot more confident with a chicken breast. As I was browsing through my cookbooks, trying to find an easy, appetizing recipe for pork chops, my mind turned to the cider that I had sitting in the fridge. Bingo. So, I improvised and came up with what turned out to be an awesome marinade.

Rachel's Cider Pork Chops
Mix together:
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 c. apple cider
2 T. honey
2 T. Worcestershire sauce

Marinade pork chops overnight (or... for 48 hours...)
Have your hubby grill to perfection. Enjoy!


Yum! Look at those diamonds!

6 comments:

  1. delish! i'm also a bit weary of pork chops. i feel like they're always dry. perhaps i will brave the new frontier with you and try to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had similar texture troubles until I met Jasmine. She's so gracious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. You're so crafty! I used to have the opposite problem with rice...too gummy. Now, it's one of the only things I can cook without fearing imminent food poisoning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. diamonds indeed! very impressive. i made couscous for dinner and wanted to compare it with a meat to see how the protein compared. the recipe i happened to click on was pork chops. and they have way more protein then my veggie couscous meal. phooey. so good job on the protein as well! [but my veggie meal was gooood] :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. we always had the hardest time with rice too! either under cooked or over cooked (usually under). we switched to rice noodles (good with stir fry) but we'll have to try the jasmine rice! (nice looking pork chops too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel!
    I am going to try those yummy looking pork chops for dinner one night! I hope mine look as good as yours! Kristi gave me your blog address from facebook. I'm glad you're well.
    Take care,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete