6.25.2013

momentary miracles

Subtitle: How I Was Reduced To Tears By Peas

This past week has been a trial for me. 
I sprained my ankle [maybe a story for another time] and was on crutches for a few days,
and now I'm in the process of weaning myself off of them.
Which is painful. And difficult with a very active and tantrum-prone toddler.

Said toddler has also been finicky with food for a few months.
He will love certain foods and then spurn them the next day.
One night he couldn't get enough cooked carrots.
The next time we had them, I offered him one, which naturally sent him into a screaming fit.
Fruit in its natural form? Heck no.
Raw veggies? Get away.
We were in the garden the other day, and I offered him some peas
and he promptly flailed on the ground yelling and crying.

This morning Bo woke up at 6:15am. 
Almost two hours earlier than normal.
Which means we're in for a cranky morning.
Which means I get discouraged by how impatient I am.

Sure enough, mid-morning and it's muggy and raining and Bo is sweating and angry.
After unsuccessful attempts to read, play with his basketball, play with Legos, etc, etc...
I scooped him up and plopped him in front of the fan in his room.
We sat quietly, my heart racing, jaw clenched, beseeching the Lord for peace.
After a few moments, Bo got up and toddled away toward the screened porch.
I watched his little legs and bare back and thought about a year ago.
Days away from boarding a plane to meet this unknown baby boy.

I grabbed my camera and followed him to the porch. 
Grandma had left some pea pods out there, and Bo wandered over to them.
He picked one up, and I showed him how to open it.
 I popped a pea into my mouth as Bo watched.
And without any prompting, I watched as he followed suit.
 And then he crawled up on my lap.
Sticky hands. The ever-present drool. Bits of pea stuck here & there.
Momentary miracles in the middle of the ordinary and even frustrating.
Tiny pictures of God's grace and reminders that I am blessed beyond measure.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! Love the transparency + the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! praying for peace and strength for all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe! Prayers! God bless you and the beautiful family you are raising. I admire you so much for having the presence of mind to pray in times when you are losing it as a Mom. I often forget to call on my life preserver when I am drowning in Motherhood.

    ReplyDelete