1.26.2009

homecoming: a recap

This blog is purely for my own memory, so I can remember the insanity forever...

Homecoming started with my 14-hour decorating day last Saturday. 
2 freshmen trace the outline of our poster...

 
then the painting begins...


Our chessboard road in the works...

The finished hallway.

We didn't have school on Monday (MLK day), but despite the 4-day week, last week was one of the longest weeks of my life. Granted, it was a lot of fun, but it was still exhausting. Each day felt like a week in and of itself.

Tuesday was "Come As You Are" Day - i.e. pajama day. Internet, I wore sweatpants to work. I wouldn't get anything done if I was allowed to do that on a regular basis. Our assembly on Tuesday was dodgeball - we came in 2nd place to the juniors! 

Wednesday was "Opposition Day". Each class was assigned a theme: freshmen were Cops & Robbers, sophomores were Rich & Hobos, juniors were Geeks & Jocks, and seniors were Farmers & Aliens. Our assembly that day was a relay race. A few of the components were having a student crawl on all fours to a plate of "dog food" (cocoa puffs), having a student put on a frozen t-shirt, pop guzzling, rope climbing, etc. We came in last...

2 of my students...

Thursday was Theme Day - each class dressed up for their lip-syncs, which were performed during the assembly time.
The freshman class performing our lip-sync for chess (purple = PCA, blue = Southfield, our homecoming opponents). We got 3rd place! We beat the sophomores.

The sophomores doing Monopoly...

The juniors and Candy Land...


The seniors owning Clue (pictured here: the suspects dancing to Smooth Criminal).

And Friday was, of course, Spirit Day.

Here's my whole freshman class (plus someone's mother...).

Doug accompanied me on Friday night to the homecoming games - we won both games, which was exciting. 

Saturday night was the homecoming dessert social - "Drive-In to the 50s," which I helped chaperone. If it wasn't for my co-sponsor, Marisa and the other class sponsors, I don't know how I would have made it through the week!

This morning I had a student whine that it was unfair for me to have a vocab quiz "the day after homecoming weekend." Please. I'll be spending this upcoming weekend with teenagers too. Don't talk to me about unfair.

Oh my word, I'm getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment