5.29.2008

book(s) of the month(s)

I know you all think I've so quickly abandoned my New Year's resolution of reading one new book a month - not the case, my friends!

I don't remember where I left off. I will list the books from the past couple months and rate them for your intellectual pleasure.

Rating system:
* blah
** blah, but something sort of worthwhile
*** okay
**** really good
***** stop what you're doing right now and go buy this book - talk to no one until you have finished it.

March
Teacher Man by Frank McCourt : ****
I highly recommend to you teachers out there (Jeanette, that's you. OH! And you too, Jim!).

April
Can I can brag for a second? Thanks. I CRUSHED my New Year's resolution during April. The Florida vacation really helped.

Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald : ***
Um, love the way he writes, but always wind up feeling depressed out of my mind when I finish the book. Really, F, you're like the forefather of emo.

Nine Stories by JD Salinger : ****
I love JD Salinger. His style is great. The short stories cracked me up, because it was like he started writing a novel, then got bored, so he just stopped writing.

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin : *****
Phenomenal. My knowledge of Middle Eastern conflict is severely limited, so this book was perfect for me. Very inspiring. Buy it, read it, love it. Thanks, Victoria!

The Fifth Vial by Michael Palmer : ***
A book that I wouldn't typically pick up, but it was a page turner. Thanks to Victoria (and Aunt Mary, right?) for bringing this on vacation!

May
Is it almost June already? Where did May go? How did this month disappear so quickly? I just read my first book for the month over the weekend.

Freddy & Fredericka by Mark Helprin : *****
A HUGE thank you to dear Megan for this suggestion. One of the funniest, most touching, incredible novels I have read in quite some time. Beautifully written, fantastic protagonists - I laughed & somehow refrained from crying. Loved it and will be purchasing it hopefully in the near future.

Plans for June reading? Well, I went to the school where I'll be teaching today and met with the head of the English Department, and she gave me 4 textbooks to look through before we start revamping the curriculum. Homework, yes - but I couldn't be more excited!

2 comments:

  1. I like reading your reviews. Your comments about "Freddy & Fredericka" really make me wanna read it. Perhaps that will be my next read. Believe it or not I'm still reading "Three Cups of Tea." I started reading 2 other books and realized I should just finish the 3 cups first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Teacher Man and Nine Stories last summer and loooved them. Reading J.D. Salinger is like intruding on someone's dream...someone's random dream.
    My next post will detail my summer reading list. I will be adding Freddy and Fredericka to that list.
    Suggestion: Read Peace Like a River by Leif Enger...amazingly touching story. Similar setup to To Kill a Mockingbird.

    ReplyDelete